During pregnancy, women need to get relaxed. One of the healthiest ways to get relaxed is by enjoying a cup of tea. It will be relaxing to enjoy a healthy and warm drink on a hectic morning or afternoon. Besides, there are some teas that can specifically provide better wellness.
Besides the common tea, we can enjoy green tea, elderberry tea, honeybush tea, and rooibos tea. While other tea might be a good idea for giving some relaxations, some teas might not be recommended for pregnancy. Is it safe to take honeybush tea during pregnancy? We need to learn this.
What is Rooibos and Honeybush tea?
Rooibos tea is popular as Red Bush while Honeybush tea is known as Heuningbos or Bossie. Honeybush is closely related to Rooibos. The name Rooibos meaning ‘red bush’. Meanwhile honeybush flowers smell of honey, which gives this plant it’s a unique name.
Basically, Both Rooibos and Honeybush is not a real plant for tea. It is a plant of Aspalathus linearis while Honeybush comes from the plant Cyclopia – It’s the scientific name. This bushy plant is native to South Africa. The leaves of this plant are used to make herbal teas. The leaves are green but will turn red as they go through the oxidation process. Both are caffeine-free and rich sources of antioxidants.
People love the teas for its naturally sweet taste. Besides, it has a slightly nutty flavor. The tea has a distinctive deep red infusion. The delicious taste is not the only thing about this tea. We can get various health benefits in the Rooibos and Honeybush tea. In some countries, this tea might be new and unpopular. But, it gets famous quickly because of its unique color and flavor.
Unlike green tea and common teas that have caffeine content. Rooibos and Honeybush have no caffeine. Therefore, we can enjoy this tea at any time. We might be afraid of unpleasant side effects when having the tea in the evening, but this herbal tea will ensure a more restful sleep. Therefore, Rooibos and Honeybush tea is a good choice for pregnancy. Besides, nursing moms can have it without worrying about the babies.
Learn more about Is Magnesium Citrate (Citroma) Safe during Pregnancy?
Also, Rooibos tea and Honeybush tea are high in antioxidants and minerals. Even, the tea has anticancer, anti-inflammatory, and anti-spasmodic properties that are essential for health.
The Difference between Rooibos and Honeybush
Rooibos is native and only grown in South Africa. Meanwhile, Honeybush is rarer. The honeybush is only found Eastern and Western Cape regions of South Africa.
Honeybush tastes plain while the Rooibos have special flavors. The taste of both is similar, though honeybush is slightly sweeter than Rooibos. Rooibos and Honeybush come from the same family, but the color of the tea is a little different.
Is It Safe to Drink Rooibos and Honeybush tea while Pregnant?
The answer is YES to this question as well.
Both Rooibos and Honeybush tea are safe while moms are expecting. Even, the antioxidant and mineral compounds in both teas will give significant benefits for pregnancy.
According to both In-Sun Hong (2014) and Galasko GT (1989), rooibos tea is caffeine-free (a benefit for pregnant women, children, and caffeine-sensitive people) and contains very low levels of tannins. It is good to consume herbal tea as an alternative to regular tea.
Learn more about 8 Essential Oils to Induce Labor Naturally
12 Amazing Benefits of Honeybush and Rooibos Tea during pregnancy
- Antioxidant Sources. Besides from Cherries, we can obtain antioxidants from teas. Rooibos and honeybush are good sources of antioxidants. According to a study by the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, animal model studies indicate both herbal teas possess potent antioxidant, immune-modulating, and chemopreventive actions.
- Anticancer agents. The Aspalathin and Nothofagin are some of the antioxidants in both teas. The compounds neutralize free radicals and boost immunities. Even, it has a protective agent that fight against the risk of cancer.
- No Caffeine. During pregnancy, many kinds of beverages are not allowed. Almost all kinds of drink that have caffeine contents are not recommended during pregnancy. Therefore, it will be good to include Rooibos and Honeybush tea in the pregnancy diet. The teas are caffeine free.
- Soothing Effects. Is it safe to take honeybush tea during pregnancy? It is not only safe but also efficient for providing soothing effects. The teas provide nervous and central system soothing impacts. Therefore, it will be effective to treat some tension, irritability, headaches, depression, and even insomnia.
- Fights Anemia. It is a common problem for pregnancy to suffer from anemia. Therefore, anemia pills are often prescribed. It is thus good to have rooibos and honeybush tea. They have low levels of tannin. Also, it is rich in iron and vitamin C. The vitamin can boost hemoglobin count. Also, it will be helpful to cure fatigue and dizziness during pregnancy.
- Prevents Kidney Diseases. The teas are free of oxalic acid. It can prevent the formation of kidney stones and protects.
- Improves Skin Health. We have been long known that teas can provide good benefits for health. Rooibos and honeybush have Phenylpyruvic acid that can treat some skin disorders. Eczema, acne, and psoriasis will be cured with tea.
- Relieving Digestion Problems. Nausea, Heartburn, and Constipation that often occurs during pregnancy will be cured with the tea.
- Rooibos and Honeybush Tea for Bone Health. The calcium compounds in the tea can help moms to strengthen bones.
- Boost Metabolic Function. Consuming tea regularly makes pregnancy healthier. This is so because the vitamin and minerals in rooibos and honeybush tea can boost metabolic function.
- Relieves Asthma. Surprisingly, the teas are also helpful to relieve asthma.
- Rooibos and Honeybush tea for energetic pregnancy. Women need to drink a nice treat just to feel energetic. The tea is definitely a good choice for improving mood and energy.
Side effects of Rooibos and Honeybush tea during Pregnancy
Despite the abundant benefits of Rooibos and honeybush tea, there are some side effects to be cautious with. The tea might increase blood pressure. It may interact with other medications as well.
Yet, the side effects will not occur if people avoid excessive consumption (The recommended amount is three cups of tea daily). Moms need to consult the maximum amount of any tea that they consume with the doctor or other healthcare providers.
So, Is it safe to take Honeybush tea during Pregnancy? Yet, it definitely is. Women will get relaxed after having tea in the morning. Some health problems during pregnancy will be cured as well with the tea.