The critical time of pregnancy is when it reaches 36 weeks. Even the most peaceful mama will feel a little anxious about this phase. Every mom wants to experience a natural birth with no pain. However, sometimes unpredictable situations and health conditions do not permit. When that occurs, cervidil is one option to take.
Some mamas feel uncomfortable with it. Yet, if it is the only procedure to speed up the labor, moms have to think about taking the treatment. It is better to find some essential information than just stay anxious without being informed.
Here are some cervidil induction success rate and success stories to learn.
Table of Contents
What is cervidil induction: induction with cervidil?
Cervidil is basically a medication utilized in the induction procedure. When moms have to suffer from the contractions but do not lead to rapid labor, the cervidil induction is the common treatment to give.
The basic description of a cervidil is like a tampon with gel. The tip of the cervidil is covered with gel. The generic name of cervidil is dinoprostone also known as Prostaglandin E2 (PGE2).
Cervidil is the first procedure for providing induction. Most of the time, moms will need cervidil as they feel a strong contraction without a significant dilation.
Sometimes, the cervix is dilated only a little. As it takes a too long time, moms need to go through the cervidil procedure. A too-long contraction is exhausting. Besides, sometimes the long contraction without a proper dilation makes the babies endanger. Therefore, cervidil is used to make it dilated properly.
How does Cervidil Work (cervidil induction process)?
The basic shape of cervidil is like a tampon. Therefore, it needs to be inserted v*ginally, right up to the cervix. Indeed, it will be a little uncomfortable for women to deal with it before the labor.
The Cervidil has to keep in for 12 hours. Some patients take the treatment until the natural contractions occur.
With this Cervidil in, moms will not be able to move freely. Even, they cannot go to the bathroom before the Cervidil is removed. There is always a possibility for the Cervidil to fall out. Thus, moms have to try hard to keep it in.
Cervidil V*ginal Insert contains 10 mg of dinoprostone. It is indicated for the initiation of cervical ripening in pregnant moms. It is also indicated for the continuation of the process of medical induction for labor.
Sometimes, the obstetrical indications are also included. The dosage in the v*ginal insert is 10 mg. it is designed to be given at 0.3 mg per hour. The procedure lasts for 12 hour period. It has to be removed after 12 hours of insertion.
The Effectiveness of Cervidil
Though not occurs in all cases, Cervidil causes regular labor contractions. However, some cases have reported that Cervidil does not give any beneficial impacts on labor.
The cervix does not dilate and the size is similar to before the insertion. It will be very annoying for the mamas. They might not be able to take a rest for about 12 hours and the treatment will not work as expected.
Sometimes, the Cervidil is given in the clinic. After that, the patients are sent home. They can wait for the removal time while enjoying their anxious time at home.
However, most cases are reported that Cervidil can enlarge the cervix through the size is varied. Even if it is only a little dilation, it will be very helpful.
In most cases, Cervidil only softens the cervix. This occurs most of the time in the Cervidil procedure.
So, does Cervidil effective to induce labor? The result might vary but it will be worth trying. There are also many Cervidil success rates and stories to read so we can measure the Cervidil effectiveness better.
Is it safe to use Cervidil to induce labor?
Basically, it is safe to use it as long as it is done by specialists. However, in order to avoid some side effects and risks, patients need to consult their doctors about several factors before getting the treatment.
- Dinoprostone Allergy; It is necessary to mention about allergy to dinoprostone or any others.
- If moms have gone through the procedure of Cervidil and get some allergies, they have to talk about them as well. For instance, they have to be cautious with a rash, hives, itch, and shortness of breath. Besides, cough and swelling might also occur. Some patients report suffering from a swelling face, lips, tongue, and even throat.
- Patients have to also consult about their health problems such as heart disease, liver disease, and lung diseases.
- For the patients who have gone through C-Section and uterine surgery, the conditions might also be risky for the Cervidil procedure.
- Genital herpes is also a health problem that should be reported prior to taking the Cervidil treatment.
Once the patients find these symptoms or side effects, they need to directly report it to their medical specialist.
- Allergic signs include rash, itching, red, blistered, and swollen.
- Severe dizziness
- Stomach ache
- Throwing upCervidil induction success rate?
Cervidil induction success rate?
Cervidil induction success rate and stories are available through forums. There are now many online forums with good and motivating stories, like the baby center community and what to expect forum.
Pregnant mamas will love to join the forum and read what the members shared. In clinical trials, a single dose of Cervidil successfully ripened the cervix in the majority of patients. Many L&D nurses used cervidil a lot, with a very high success rate! It is generally very effective and if there are any problems, easily removed.
“We use cervidil all the time for inductions and it works well. Don’t let people worry about you! Cervidil is a far better option than Cytotec.”
Tell Us about your Experience and please, cast your VOTE in a comment section!
Who should not be given Cervidil?
There are some patients that should not be given Cervidil. Here are some of them:
- The patients who have experienced some allergic reactions to prostaglandins.
- Pregnant moms who suffer from bleeding during pregnancy.
- The patients who have taken some drugs in the process of induction.
- The sixth or seventh labors should not be induced with Cervidil.
The followings are additional factors for not giving Cervidil as part of labor induction.
- When the babies are in distress, Cervidil should not be given. Besides, when the babies need to be delivered urgently, Cervidil is not recommended as well.
- Cervidil is also not recommended if the baby size is too large for a natural birth.
In conclusion, cervidil induction success rate depends on some factors. In addition, the health and physical conditions of the pregnant mamas will create different effects of Cervidil.